Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2007

Lord help us, help us lose our minds



In our series of Albums Previously Overlooked by me for a long time, today we feature Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues. To me, Talking Heads used to end with Remain In Light, most probably because the monumental The Name Of This Band Is didn't feature anything from their later efforts. So I felt like Remain In Light was a pretty perfect swan song and never really cared for what came after that.

In fact, though, the successor doesn't just consist of the band's probably biggest hit, "Burning Down the House", but instead delivers just the nerdy funk that you know from TH. I give you "Slippery People" (which sounds suspiciously close to "Houses in Motion" off the predecessor album) and This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody), which is just that - by the way, even it wasn't meant that way, I can't help but understand the lines "and you love me 'till my heart stops / love me 'till I'm dead" as an expression not of eternal devotion but rather of some kind of happy torture. But I guess this is what a lot of TH is about anyway.


Download Talking Heads - Slippery People (VBR, 7,30 mb)
Download Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) (VBR, 6,92 mb)
Buy Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues from CDUniverse (WARNING!! Warner Bros. is a member of the RIAA. If you don't know what that is, read on them before you consider buying: Wikipedia; Boycott-RIAA.com).

And while we're at it, here are three tracks from a great live bootleg from 1983.

Download Talking Heads - Heaven (live) (320 kbps, 9,52 mb)
Download Talking Heads - Slippery People (live) (320 kbps, 12,50 mb)
Download Talking Heads - Crosseyed and Painless (live) (320 kbps, 16,30 mb)
(These live versions are taken off a bottleg which you can download entirely from Dimeadozen.org. The time and place are 08-05-1983, Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga Springs, NY, USA).

Keine Kommentare: